How to Start a Blog Chapter 1
Why You Need to Consider Starting a Blog
You have probably seen other women in business starting a blog, and have wondered "what's all the fuss about?" Blogs have been around long enough now that many women small business owners have discovered ways to use blogging as part of their internet marketing strategy. If you're still sitting on the fence, here are a few good reasons we recommend that you consider starting a blog.
- Blogs make adding fresh content easy. Starting a blog and posting to it is as easy as writing an email. You don’t need any special skills or web design knowledge.
- Blogs help to pull traffic in a new way. Blog posts are distributed by RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feeds. If you take some time and submit your RSS feed address to a wide variety of RSS and Blog Directories, every time you post to your blog, the directory will know about it. Recently updated feeds are featured prominently, bringing you greater exposure. RSS also connects you to individuals who subscribe to your feed.
- Starting a blog also help to pull traffic through the search engines as each blog post creates a new page of content.
- Blogs give your website "stickiness", which means that people return over and over again. Your readers subscribe to the RSS feed and get alerted whenever you post, and also your readers can comment on the blog if you allow that option! Your visitors return again and again to check for comments.
- Blogs add personality to your website and to your business in general. Starting a blog gives you the freedom to let your customers, potential customers and business acquaintances see your lighter side. You don’t have to get too personal, but sharing little bits of yourself can be beneficial to your business relationships.
- Frequency is important but blogs don’t require a lot of time and effort to keep them fresh. Starting a blog does not require a huge investment of time. You don’t have to write full length articles ... you can share shorter, useful tidbits as a series which will keep your readers happy and encourage them to return for the next installment.
- Perhaps the biggest reason to start a blog is simply that they are so popular with so many people. Blog fans can hardly resist clicking on a link to a blog and will subscribe to your feed to satisfy their hunger for fresh blog reading. Makes you want to come down off the fence doesn’t it? :-)