Five Tips for Writing Press Releases
Writing press releases can help your business gain publicity through the media. Having media attention gives your business credibility. Here are five tips to boost your press releases effectiveness.
- Writing Press Releases Tip #1 - Correct Format There is a format that press releases need to follow. Make sure your yours is written in the correct format, as you will want it to look as professional as possible. It is also a good idea to double-check the grammar, punctuation and spelling before you send it in for submission.
- Writing Press Releases Tip #2 - Keep it Clear and Concise Your press release should be no longer than two pages. Media outlets receive lots of press releases and dont have time to read a ten page report. Keeping your writing clear and concise allow you to fit in the important facts without going over the two page limit. As you decide what information to include, answer the following questions: who, what, why, where, when, and how.
- Writing Press Releases Tip #3 - What Is The Reader Going To Gain Give your press releases a call to action. Include something that is going to inspire readers to go to your event, visit your website, attend your grand opening, etc. Writing a blatant ad will be obvious. Incorporate the features and benefits of what you are promoting, and give information on what it will do for your target market. If you are promoting a new food processor, simply stating that it is smaller and takes up less space than previous models isnt enough. However, writing the information as the new model is smaller and takes up less space, allowing our customers to have the full chopping power of our larger model, but also save precious counter space lets the reader know how the new model will help them.
- Writing Press Releases Tip #4 - Make It Interesting If your writing is boring, no one is going to want to read it. Try to find a balance between straight facts and excitement. Using the example of the food processor above, announcing that our new food processor will be available this spring isnt as catchy as our new space-saving food processor will be available this spring, just in time to help you chop fresh vegetables for your summer salads.
- Writing Press Releases Tip #5 - Remember Your Target Market As you write and submit your press releases, keep your target market in mind at all times. By keeping your audience in mind, you will be able to focus on what information to include and where to submit your press releases. For instance, if you are promoting an event related to childrens health, submitting a press release to the travel editor of your local paper isnt going to help you.
The media cannot run a story on every press release they receive, but implementing these tips will help you write press releases that grab, and keep, the medias attention. The old saying practice makes perfect rings true for press releases; the more you write them, the better you will get.
More on writing press releases can be found here:
Create a Press Release
Free Publicity With A Press Release